Since we are in an era where the technological advances grow faster than the speed in which these changes are being absorbed by the society, the word Paradigm is used even more by the visionaries and pioneers of this time of changes. To highlight that we live in crisis due to the constant dragging of obsolete paradigms. Next up, let’s discover the change of paradigm.
This takes us to the question:
- What is a paradigm?
- What is a mental virus?
- Is a paradigm the same thing as a mental virus?
To find the answer let’s see this video:
- Paradigm. It is a model, system, way of thinking, that enables us to interact rapidly with a specific reality.
Generally, just a few individuals create the paradigms, but it’s a majority who uses it. For those who create the paradigms, it is a science; while for who uses it, it is a belief.
- Mental Virus. It is a belief that limits the development of the human being.
An obsolete paradigm due to the change in the reality is no longer science, thus it becomes a mental virus. Not all the mental viruses are born as paradigms because some come as irrational beliefs from its beginnings. For instance, the religious belief of horses with wings, and people flying on those horses.
Example of the Paradigm
In a fishing family, the mother was teaching her daughter how to fry a fish, and the girl asked her:
- “Mom why do you cut the head and the tail of the fish to fry it?“
And the mother responded:
- “I don’t know, I have never thought of it, your grandma taught me that the fish had to be fried this way.
The girl approached her grandma to ask her why, and she responded:
- “Before we were so poor and we only had a small pan. So to fry the fish we had to cut its head and tail, to have more space“.
Hence, the little girl replied:
- “Ah, but we have a bigger pan, can I fry the fish in its whole?”
And the grandma responded:
- “Yes, my darling, you don’t need to cut the head and the tail to fry it”
For the grandma, the paradigm was a science. For the mother, it was a belief. And, for the girl, it was a mental virus.
More Information On This Video
Since we are born we receive a great number of paradigms, interacting with everything through it.
- Are these paradigms valid or just mental viruses that delay our development?